gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Garmin 18X-5Hz

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Garmin 18X-5Hz
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 12:19:46 -0700

Yo Miroslav!

On Thu, 11 Aug 2016 16:07:06 +0200
Miroslav Lichvar <address@hidden> wrote:

> > > Is this any problem for gpsd and time synchronization?
> >
> > On theory, no.  In practice, never tested.
>
> gpsd supports detection of 5 Hz PPS, but there is a problem that it
> always sets the fractional part of the timestamp to zero, so with 5 Hz
> PPS the offsets have an error of 0.0, 0.2, 0.4, 0.6 and 0.8 seconds.

Ouch.  If we can get a real test case that should be easy to fix.

OTOH, ntpd will not accept time corrections faster than every 8 seconds
without a patch.  I find that every every 16 or 32 seconds gives better
results.  Even longer may be even better, depending on local clock
stability.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588