gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] syslog error message with new version - kernel PPS fail

From: hans mayer
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] syslog error message with new version - kernel PPS failed Connection timed out
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2015 10:52:50 +0200

Yo Gary,

I appreciate your patience with me. Many thanks.

>> > How are you starting gpsd?
>> /usr/local/sbin/gpsd -n -F /var/run/gpsd.sock -P /var/run/gpsd.pid
>> /dev/ttyS2
> add /dev/pps0 to the end of that.  Then gpsd opens it.

OK. My mistake. I didn't realize to give a second device
And the usage says: device...
So it's clear, it can be more than one.

So I checked if this would help. This is my cmd line
/usr/local/sbin/gpsd -n -F /var/run/gpsd.sock -P /var/run/gpsd.pid /dev/ttyS2 /dev/pps0
( this is one line - my mailer generates a line break )

In syslog I see:
Aug 8 10:29:54 bananapi kernel: [45196.156753] pps pps1: new PPS source serial2 Aug 8 10:29:54 bananapi kernel: [45196.164733] pps pps1: source "/dev/ttyS2" added

It's still pps1. And of course NTP does not work.
ntpd[5437]: SHM(1) 802b 8b clock_event clk_no_reply

I started gpsd with debug option.
/usr/local/sbin/gpsd -n -N -F /var/run/gpsd.sock -D 5 /dev/ttyS2 /dev/pps0 > /tmp/gps_trace.txt 2>&1

Attached you can find the output.

What I have seen in the log, but maybe not important:
gpsd:WARN: KPPS:/dev/pps0 missing PPS_CAPTURECLEAR, pulse may be offset

But later on

gpsd:INFO: device /dev/pps0 activated
gpsd:INFO: KPPS:/dev/pps0 gps_fd:-2 not a tty
gpsd:INFO: KPPS:/dev/pps0 gps_fd:-2 not a tty
gpsd:ERROR: KPPS:/dev/pps0 kernel PPS failed Interrupted system call
gpsd:ERROR: KPPS:/dev/pps0 kernel PPS failed Interrupted system call
gpsd:ERROR: KPPS:/dev/pps0 kernel PPS failed Interrupted system call

This sounds not good.

Kind regards
Hans

--

Am 06.08.2015 22:53, schrieb Gary E. Miller:
Yo hans!

On Thu, 06 Aug 2015 22:16:13 +0200
hans mayer <address@hidden> wrote:

  > OK.  Be aware that driver can only use one edge...

I know. Actually it didn't work on a Banana PI at all.
With Bananian Linux! version: 15.04 - kernel 3.4.108+
It only worked on Raspberry PI.
I had to add this patch  https://github.com/infinet/bananapi
And I do not know how to use the other edge - and how ?
I don't need it.
So it's not an issue for me (currently).

That patch is for kernel 3.4.  Get a newer kernel, which already has the patch.

  > Yes, because you have not told gpsd how to access the /dev/pps0,
How can I ?

Details are in gpsd time service howto.

  > How are you starting gpsd?
/usr/local/sbin/gpsd -n -F /var/run/gpsd.sock -P /var/run/gpsd.pid
/dev/ttyS2

add /dev/pps0 to the end of that.  Then gpsd opens it.

  > You are starting gpsd as root, right?
Yes, of course.

Good.

  > What are the permissions on your /dev/pps0?

Original - after a boot - it is this:
crw------- 1 root root    242, 0 Aug  6 14:09 /dev/pps0
and I also changed group and permissions
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 242, 0 Aug  6 14:09 /dev/pps0
no change in the behaviour

Since you are starting as root, and you did not have /dev/pps0 on your
command line, neither would work.  And when in doulbe just make it
666 for testing.  That eliminates a lot of confusion.

I started gpsd in debug mode
/usr/local/sbin/gpsd -n -N -F /var/run/gpsd.sock -D 4 /dev/ttyS2
I do not know why I hadn't this idea earlier. :-(

And I have seen it creates it's own /dev/pps1

Of course, attached to /dedv/ttyS2, which is not what you want
because your PPS is no on ttyS2 but on the gpio.

Of course it runs into a time-out if it does not use the one
provided from the system.
Attached the debug trace of some seconds running gpsd with -D 5.
This rises the question why is it creating pps1 instead
of using pps0 ?

Because any sane hardware does not use GPIO for things that are
related to the serial port.

  > You can not have followed the time service howto and used
  > rpi_gpio_ntp at the same time.

You are completely right.
But you can imagine I walked a stony way. As I said:

Keep reading it, you keep mising things that are in there.

  >> And I run the NTP configuration you mentioned in this doc.
Because of the fact that gpsd is currently not doing as I expect

Nor will gpsd do as you expect going the way you are going.

I was happy to bring it up and running with "rpi_gpio_ntp"
in the first attempt.

Yes, nice for testing, nothing more.

But in any case. Your page is a big help if one carries together
all these puzzle stones of a new big puzzle.

Oh, and you also read the Raspi section in the INSTALL file?

I am looking forward to find a solution.

Do it by the gpsd doc, and it will work fine.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588