gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Frequency, communication speed and 1PPS accuracy

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Frequency, communication speed and 1PPS accuracy
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 09:55:39 -0400

Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE <address@hidden> writes:

> We are testing different GPS chips for an NTP statum-1 server.
>
> Just a simple question: does frequency and communication speed improve
> the quality of 1PPS signal?
>
> We have the choice between:
> 1Hz, 9600bps, NEMA output: GGA, GLL, GSV, GSA, RMC, VTG.
> 5Hz, 57600bps, NEMA output: GGA, GLL, GSV, GSA, RMC, VTG.
> 10Hz, 115200bps, NEMA output: GGA, GLL, GSV, GSA, RMC, VTG.

You should read the manual for your device or ask the manufacturer.
Failing that, you should tell us the model information, because
answering a general question about an ensemble of devices is not possible.

But, it is highly unlikely that the serial speed will significantly
change the 1 PPS behavior.  If it does, I'd be skeptical of the device
entirely.