gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Problems with the gpsd website move

From: Ed W
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Problems with the gpsd website move
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 12:34:18 +0000

Hi

As long as the the front page says "moved here" in big blinking letters,
or just quietly redirects after 1 second, I'm not sure why lagging
search engine results matter. This is a long-lived project; the search
results will resolve themselves in time.
This is why I haven't been worrying about it too hard.

Yes, but if you change the original pages to be simply a 301 redirect then
a) the search engines update their results to show the new page as link in their search results b) your search results aren't being spread out over multiple websites (and probably one set of pages being penalised for being duplicates of the other) c) End users need do nothing at all if they click an old link - transparent redirection

The status quo is bad for a number of (ok minor) reasons - changing old sites you have access to to become 301 redirects is fairly trivial - seems hard to see why you wouldn't therefore setup the redirects?

Regards

Ed W