gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] SDDBT

From: Hamish
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] SDDBT
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 12:49:08 -0800 (PST)

Eric wrote:

Bertram:
> > Trawling through your mailing lists I see the
> > subject of including DBT was discussed in the
> > latter part of last year

(and I'm sure much earlier, going back to the
old pygps days)

> > but in the absence of any further info, can I
> > assume that any proposed support has been
> > dropped?

Eric:
> Yes, but I think mainly because we didn't have a
> test load for it.  Sounds like you can supply
> that lack with a sentence dump from your device.

I believe I've sent that through a couple times
in the past, but can send NMEA logs from Furuno
and Garmin depth sounders again if it is wanted.

Note that while technically related to elevation,
the "depth below sounder" isn't part of any 3D GPS
solution, will have different sampling and error
characteristics, and the two shouldn't interact
automatically; it's ancillary data like the almost
always co-available transducer temperature NMEA
sentence.

regards,
Hamish