gpsd-dev

Re: SparkFun GNSS L1/L5 Breakout - NEO-F10N, SMA - GPS-24114 - SparkFun

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: SparkFun GNSS L1/L5 Breakout - NEO-F10N, SMA - GPS-24114 - SparkFun Electronics
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 16:16:27 -0700

Yo Frank!

On Mon, 25 Mar 2024 19:05:56 -0400
Frank Nicholas <frank@nicholasfamilycentral.com> wrote:

> > Without a reference to data published in a peer-reviewed journal,
> > I'm skeptical :-)  It's certainly possible L5 is quieter.

L5 is 30 years after L2, they learned a lot in that time.

You don't need a peer reviewed paper, just look at the protocol.  Faster
chip rate, stronger RF, better modulation, faster data rate.

> > Perhaps someone can get data out of an F9, which I think can measure
> > noise levels, with a L1/L2/l5 antenna, in a statistically  valid
> > sample of urban locations.  Or use a spectrum analyzer.
>
> Does the F9 support L5?  I don’t think I’ve seen L5 support
> advertised for any of the boards I’ve looked at.

The F9P, F9T and D9S support L5.  Check out the u-blox line card:

https://www.u-blox.com/sites/default/files/GNSS_LineCard_UBX-13004717.pdf

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588