gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] RFC: GPSd on Android as a system service

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] RFC: GPSd on Android as a system service
Date: Mon, 6 May 2019 16:31:01 -0700

Yo Adam!

On Mon, 06 May 2019 19:22:58 -0400
Adam Serbinski <address@hidden> wrote:

> >Agreed, and gpsd does not pass on UNKNOWN data.  It is useless
> >because it is UNKNOWN.  Now if we knew what it meant, but we do
> >not.
>
> It's not about passing on the unknown elevation, it's about passing
> on the cno and SV identifying numbers.

Which have no value without elevation and azimuth.

> The -91 is incidental.

No, it tells us the data is useless.

A good test for you would be to try to explain this to a casual user.

Like trying to train a dog to read, it wastes your time and just annoys
the dog.  Not that I am comparing our users to dogs.  :-)

> If it wasn't for the fact that this would probably break a lot of
> gpsd clients, I would suggest leaving out just the elevation and
> azimuth fields, this way you can be sure that you are not passing on
> any unknown data, while still passing on the data that *is* known.

Correct.  As currently written, libgpsd_json SKY decode expects all
or none.  That could be fixed, but a lot of complexity for no
gain.

And all this dicussion that happens on one model, of one brand of GPS,
for a very brief time, only on startup.  Surely you have more important
things to fix?

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588