gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] ✘3.18 release soon

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] ✘3.18 release soon
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2018 16:49:43 -0700

Yo Fred!

On Tue, 2 Oct 2018 16:31:08 -0700 (PDT)
Fred Wright <address@hidden> wrote:

> > I hacked a fix for xgps and xgpsspeed version issues.  And added
> > version checks to cgps.  A real fix would require making the Python
> > client library as smart as the C client library.
> >
> > Check it out.
>
> I'm not convinced that something which should be completely normal
> merits warnings, but at least it works now.

Considering how many problems gpsd users have with mixed versions I
do not consider it perfectly normal.

But I do agree the format of the message is sub-optimal.  Maybe
a popup or some such.

> > Along the way, I see there is no way for the C clients to see the
> > expected API versions.  Something else to fix in 3.19~dev.
> >
> > Any other release blockers?
>
> Currently the "ubxtool -V" in python-versions makes pyserial a
> mandatory dependency,

Works for me:

    # ./ubxtool -V
    ubxtool: Version 3.18

Tested on Python 2.7 and 3.6.

Something seriously different with your Python and the way it
imports things.  I assume this is another macOS defect?

> Since macOS 10.14 "Mojave" was just released, I can also include that
> in testing, assuming there are no issues setting up a VM for it.  I
> already have VMs for 10.5-10.13 (as well as Ubuntu, CentOS, Fedora,
> FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and NetBSD).

3.18 is locked in.  But not unusual for a release to flush out bugs
right away.  We can do a quick 3.19 if required.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588