gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Set gps data in gpsd from client side or other driver

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Set gps data in gpsd from client side or other driver
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2018 11:56:42 -0700

Yo Jason - 0776 - MITLL!

On Wed, 26 Sep 2018 14:51:04 +0000
"LaPenta, Jason - 0776 - MITLL" <address@hidden> wrote:

> I have a device which includes a gps and sends gps data, as well as a
> lot of other data consumed by several applications, to my host over a
> single serial connection.

Not very specific.  What data format?  NMEA?  What GPS model?  Does
gpsd work with that data stream?

> I’m also using pps directly connected to a
> GPIO pin.

Pretty normal.  Is this a Raspberry Pi?  Or similar?  What OS?

If it is a RasPi, do you have this, or similar, in your /boot/config.txt?

dtoverlay=pps-gpio,gpiopin=18

> I would like to send the gps time-date etc to gpsd so gpsd,
> ntp, and pps can work their magic.

Easy, assuming the serial feed is fairly normal:

# gpsd -n /dev/ttyAMA0

> Is it possible to send the time-date info to gpsd from a client
> application? If so, how? If not, what are my options?

Usually the GPS talks to gpsd, then gpsd sends the time to ntpd, and
ntpd set the system clock.  Then all an application needs to
do is read the system clock.

If the other stuff on the line looks like NMEA then gpsd can just pass
it on to other apps using gpspips:

# gpspipe -r | your-app

RGDS
GARY