gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] leapsecond.cache, git

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] leapsecond.cache, git
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2015 13:27:38 -0500

Greg Troxel <address@hidden>:

> I just updated and got:
>
> Updating 4b83ce7..f2cd746
> error: Your local changes to the following files would be overwritten by
> merge:
>         leapseconds.cache
> Please, commit your changes or stash them before you can merge.
> Aborting
>

> I get this; it's because the file is checked in and modified during the
> build.  This is broken.   Really it's broken to use the net at build
> time, period.

leapsecond.cache can be modified during the build but is *not* checked in;
that's the problem.

The reason there is network access at build time is so the current IERS/USNO
leapsecond offset will get built into the code ASAP.  Without this hack, someone
would have to remember to fetch the offset manually, and it would only get
updated at irregular and probably excessively long intervals.

> But if this is going to happen, then there should be something that
> either fetches the new file or copies the source file an objdir file if
> that doesn't work, so that this problem doesn't happen.

I don't understand this prescription, sorry.