gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] gpsctl broken for Garmin USB

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] gpsctl broken for Garmin USB
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 03:52:08 -0500

Gary E. Miller <address@hidden>:
> Garmin USB speed change used to work.

I can find no evidence that the Garmin Binary driver has ever had a
speed switcher.  Mode switcher, yes.  Speed switcher, no - and that
makes sence on a USB interface that's not a serial-TTY emulation.

Try this check:

for release in 3.9 3.8 3.7 3.6 3.5 3.4 3.3 3.2 3.1 3.0 2.96 2.96 2.94 2.93 2.92
2.91 2.90 2.39; do git checkout release-$release; grep speed_switcher
driver_garmin.c; done; git checkout master

If you're feeling truly masochistic, this:

for release in `git rev-list release-2.39..HEAD`; do git checkout $release;
grep speed_switcher driver_garmin.c; done; git checkout master | grep
speed_switcher | grep -v NULL

will check for a non-NULL Garmin speed switcher on every revision in
that range. Be prepared to wait a while.

You'll turn up nothing but ".speed_switcher = NULL," going back to
March 2009.  Further back than that we were using ad-hoc names for
different driver sourcefiles, so checking gets a bit annoying. But I'm
not in doubt about what I'd find.

Unless the removal of this method has escaped your notice for *three
years*, it wasn't there to begin with.  You're misremembering a detail
about some other device.