gomd-devel

[gomd-devel] linux build / cvs questin

From: Johnny Cache
Subject: [gomd-devel] linux build / cvs questin
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 00:28:27 -0500 (CDT)

Hey guys,
So 3dmosmon now runs on OSX and the code has been greatly cleaned up. I
even made a few diagrams showing the memory layout after i had sorted it
al lout again (had to document it before i forgot! kinda makes me wish
java was faster so i didnt have to keep such careful track). Aynway im
hoping to get my hands dirty with cvs tomorrrow. Before i start i was
going to ask you guys if there was anything i could do from the beginning
to make my job easier. The one thing that springs to my mind is should i
move my 3dmosmon development inside of my local gomd tree under a contrib
dir? Does this matter at all?

Question number two. How do -you- think i should distribute 3dmosmon on
linux? One of the big reasons i switched to OSX (aside from being a sucker
for eye candy, but you probably knew that..) is it lets me package
software in a single unified format. I went absolutely crazy trying to
figure out the best way to get 3dmosmon running on a variety of platforms
last time and i think i failed pretty miserably. I have no desire to
create rpms,debs,and ebuilds so im hoping if it gets popuilar volunteers
will step forward for there favorite distribution. I also hate autotools,
but i would use them if someone would show me how to apply them to this
project sanely. I guess this boils down to

should i use autotools or normal makefiles and handle it by hand like
gomd?

should i distribute the ogre library as a .so included in the project
or make people download and compile it themselves? (its rather large)
Previously i attempted to package the library with 3dmosmon itself, but im
not sure that was a good idea. would -You- be willing to download and
compile a large graphics engine yourself just to run 3dmosmon? Its about a
30 min compile on an averge box, maybe less.

Im just looking for opinions and open source wisdom here. I'd like this to
be much less painful than my last attempt.
T.i.a.
-jc