gomd-devel

Re: [gomd-devel] 3dmosmon hacking

From: Matthias Rechenburg
Subject: Re: [gomd-devel] 3dmosmon hacking
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 18:25:26 +0200

Hi Johnny ;)

On Samstag 20 September 2003 16:16, Johnny Cache wrote:
> Hey guys, I expect to finish the mosstatd support into 3dmosmon today
> and hope i can start on the gomd support after that. Before i get there
> and get stuck on something i thought id ask you guys a questoin:
>
> 3dmosmon associates 2 numbers with a node, its openMosix node # and a
> serial #. The serial numbers are used for primarily 2 things. As an index
> into a STL List<Int, NodeInfo*> and to calculate their position. If the
> nodes all have continuous #'s (1-7 say) it is easy to place them in a grid
> (or triangle). If the #'s are are arbitrary it is hard to come up with a
> elegant solution to choosing a position for them in the world. Now the
> problem:

i had the same problem when i ported the mosstatd from Mosix to openMosix.
On openMosix you can have very high node-numbers because of the autodiscover
daemon which calculates the node-id from the ip-address + the subnet mask.
What i did was just use the second number in serial and keep a nodelist
(which you may want to update sequentielly e.g. if a node leaves or joins the
cluster -> this is how openMosixview does it for dynamically adding/removing
nodes).
The serial number will just "run" in a sequence from 0 - n-1 where n is the
number of nodes e.g. you have 3 nodes id's : 3344, 3345, 3346
So the nodelist which keeps the node-id + serial id mapping will contain:
0, 1, 2 and maps this to 3344,3445 and 3346.

> Since i wrote mosstatd, i just had it assign a serial # to all the nodes.
> This means that 3dmosmon doesnt have to worry about it since mosstatd
> deals with it. Do you guys have any suggestinos on how to do this with

yep, should be in mosstatd ........
..... you may want to look in the gomd qt-example i wrote ;)))
It simply gets the nodelist from the gomd and uses this
to create the widgets at the correct posistion dynamically.

> gomd? i'd rather get it right the first time then hack arond with it alot
> so i figured id ask
>
> T.I.A.
> -jc
>
> P.S. if all goes welll today ill be looking for some people willing to
> beta test it (with mosstatd) today.

will try, please let us know when you have something for testing.
.... and take your time.