gomd-devel

[gomd-devel] Re: <BUG> library installation

From: Matthias Rechenburg
Subject: [gomd-devel] Re: <BUG> library installation
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 12:07:39 +0200

Ciao,

On Samstag 23 August 2003 02:04, Gian Paolo Ghilardi wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Michael  "tantive" (sorry, I don't know his surname) posted a bug on
> Savannah's (same bug signaled me by CaloRE).
>
> PROBLEM: libgomd library needs root privileges for being installed.

right, i do not see this as a real problem.
Many projects are using autoconf and you can run something like :
 ./configure --prefix=/usr
to install the libs/bins into the common directories.
As discussed and decided by us we do not want to use autoconf
(http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/889/ ;)
so our libs/bins will be installed in /usr/lib and /usr/sbin and root
privileges are required.

If a "user" would like to play with our stuff he/she could simply
just "make" it and use LD_PRELOAD/LD_LIBRARY_PATH to
use them.

The other possiblility is to e.g. provide another target in the
Makefiles like:
  make installuser
which will install the stuff either in /usr/local or in the user home
dir (what do you think is better ? to my mind the home dir )

> How can we install the library without root permissions?
> <<AND/OR>>

e.g. in the users /home dir

> Should we add a note in compile.sh to warn the user about the privileges
> requirement?

to my mind the root should be a requirement for the compile.sh.
If a user wants to play with it he/she can compile him/herself.

> I've just tried with "install" tool, "sudo" program, etc... but these are
> only (ugly) workarounds...

yep, agree, i do not like them either.

> Any idea?
>
> Byez.
>
> <rejected>

have fun,

Matt
--
E-mail  :  address@hidden
www     : http://www.openmosixview.com

(A)bort, (R)etry, (T)ake down entire network?