gomd-devel

Re: [gomd-devel] Duplicate and useless getter commands

From: Matthias Rechenburg
Subject: Re: [gomd-devel] Duplicate and useless getter commands
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 12:37:59 +0200

Ciao Roel,

On Freitag 22 August 2003 11:46, address@hidden wrote:
> Hi _rejected_
>
> 4 things:
>
> 1)
> I just read your list of commands, and when implementing in UML I found
> that some commands are double. This concerns some of the E(X)TRA GETTER
> COMMANDS. Some of them gather the same info as local getter commands.
> Therefor I think it would be best for simplicity to remove the local getter
> commands. Most of them can also be executed on remote nodes. This way the
> client app doesn't have to remember to wich node it is talking to anymore.
>
> A few examples are:
> Local - E(X)TRA
> load - cpuload
> cpus - cpuinfo //although cpuinfo reads from /proc
> tmem - meminfo //although meminfo reads from /proc
>
> I know that some alternatives from the E(X)TRA GETTER COMMANDS do slightly
> diffirent things, but I think this could be changed easily. This way there
> is no seperation between local and remote nodes and the local getter
> commands could be removed.

yep, the more general the commands are the better.
(i guess we will still need the functions to get the local values but
not the commands)

> 2)
> A lot of the E(X)TRA GETTER COMMANDS don't work. gomd says it cannot get
> the IP for node #258 while that is the local node. Remote nodes don't work
> either.

mmhmm, can have several reason as i know .....
Are you using dns or hosts for name resolving ?
Can you sent your /etc/hosts please ?
which subnet/ip address are you using ?
btw: which linux distribution are you using ?

... does not happen in my testing here but anyways we have to
investigate this ;)

> 3)
> "get netload $NODE" or "get nl $NODE" conflicts with "get nl" from "get
> nodelist". Gomd always chooses the "get nodelist" one.

;)

> 4) Conclusion: I think the local getter commands can be easily replaced by
> the E(X)TRA GETTER COMMANDS. Problems could be solved by gomd2gomd. Maybe
> make the local getter commands only accessible by gomd2gomd?
>
> cheers,
>
> Roel Baardman

thanks Roel, good testing!

howdy,

Matt
--
E-mail  :  address@hidden
www     : http://www.openmosixview.com

# make sense
make: don't know how to make sense. Stop