gomd-devel

[gomd-devel] Some excerpts from Matt<->JP IRC chat session

From: Gian Paolo Ghilardi
Subject: [gomd-devel] Some excerpts from Matt<->JP IRC chat session
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 22:57:28 +0200

Hi all.

As in the subject.

MATT: specially the libgomd connection is really serious
JP: did you see bugs_history file?
MATT: common ;) good code, better than the code from most others
MATT: no ?
JP: check the CVS... :)
MATT: :) :) :)
JP: now I'm thinking about how to implement the gomd2gomd comm...
MATT: nice
JP: :)
MATT: ok
MATT: what is your plan ?
JP: first of all I'd like to split local and remote request handling
MATT: good
JP: I've some problems while tryin' to open two sockets (one for receive and
one to send)
MATT: mhmm, what happens ?
JP: if a gomd requests something to another gomd...
JP: it opens a new socket...
MATT: yep
JP: remote request receive this request and handles as a "standard" client
conn...
JP: remote gomd...
JP: :)
MATT: aaah, so it could not seperate the rmote request receive from a
standart request
JP: sure...
JP: actually gomd2gomd comm is called "service requests"
MATT: how do you create the second socket ?
JP: tcpstream in class gomd2gomd...
MATT: ok
MATT: the same config as for the first one ?
JP: the problem is this:
JP: we have 2 gomd A, B
MATT: ok
JP: A sends a "service request" to B
JP: (so A opens a socket, sends the request and closes the socket)
JP: B receives the "service request" and sends back an answer
JP: A should receive the answer...
JP: I've some problems
MATT: mhmmm, you say after A is opening the socket, sends the request it
closes it again, why ?
MATT: isn't the requested value sent over the same socket then the request
from A ?
JP: because if we don't close the socket we'll have two sockets listening on
the same port
JP: that's an error...
MATT: ah, but the service request should use a diffrent port at least for
sending the request
JP: why?
JP: I tried using port 9888 but I got some errors...
MATT: what errors ?
JP: maybe teh code is not so clean at this time... :)
MATT: ;)
JP: now we have to define the format of service requests...
MATT: ok, let me explain how i see the gomd2gomd connection
JP: go ahead.
MATT: so we have again gomd A and B
JP: k
MATT: A opens a socket on e.g. port 9988 to the gomd-port from B (9889)
MATT: then it sends the request e.g. "get load" and waits for the answer
MATT: then it parses the answer and has the value
MATT: then A closes the socket to B
MATT: do you see a problem with this concept ?
JP: this is for the standard client requests?
MATT: this is the same as for the standart client request ! even more : this
is a standart client request, just from another gomd
MATT: there should not be an extra "service request" interface, it should
use the same mechanism
MATT: also
JP: you're right but...
MATT: the libgomd later will use the same mechanism in the libgomd methods
JP: a client cannot ask service requests
JP: isn't it?
MATT: what do you mean ?
MATT: the client
MATT: can ask for any value to a gomd
MATT: the client can be a libgomd application OR another gomd ;)
JP: ok...
MATT: even more
MATT: let me explain a bit more what is the idea
JP: so no more "service requests"
MATT: it is a service request but it should be handled like a normal client
request (to my mind)
MATT: the idea is the following
MATT: now you will create the first gomd2gomd function e.g.
MATT: getallload
MATT: the function will contact all gomd (nodes from /proc/hpc/nodes or
better from your nodelist-function)
MATT: and do a something like a normal client request
JP: ok...
MATT: you can call it service-request if you want
MATT: so once
JP: but with a minimal change...
MATT: we will have this gettallload function
JP: instead of
JP: get load all
JP: (CMD REQUEST PARAM)
MATT: sure
JP: gomd getallload
MATT: when will have this gettallload function
MATT: we will remove it from the gomd !!!!!
JP: yes... :)
JP: libgomd...
MATT: and put it in the libgomd and link the gomd against the libgomd ;)
MATT: understand ?
JP: sure...
MATT: :) :)
JP: that's the Idea...
JP: ok...
JP: I'll start coding ASAP...
JP: about get help?
MATT: you are so busy JP: ;)
JP: get help (NO PARAM) -> get help 1?
MATT: take you time and enjoy yourself
JP: I enjoy myself coding... :)
MATT: i think there shoudl be a "get help" option even if it is no (CMD
REQUEST PARAM)
MATT: it is the first what every user will try "get help"
MATT: we should help her/him ;)
JP: maybe I'll try to remove the get from get help
..

<rejected>