gomd-devel

Re: [gomd-devel] Gomd files committed to CVS

From: Mirko Caserta
Subject: Re: [gomd-devel] Gomd files committed to CVS
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 00:24:38 +0200

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 23:38:08 +0200
address@hidden (Matthias Rechenburg) wrote:

> how is your new work ? did it started already ?

Yep, started last week on thursday. My new job at a glance:

- lots of young, talented and professional people, even in the management
- working in a team
- company started 3 years ago with 5 people and they're about 40 now
- there's a shower in the bathroom
- there's a kitchen in the house and we all have lunch together
- we have the keys of the house
- first job has been hacking proftpd and busybox's "du" :)
- currently working at a quota-proftpd with a cute geek girl
- also working at an expat + libwww thingie which talks XML over HTTP
- firm is at about 500 meters far away from my house, it's a 5 minutes walk

I had a short chat with the cute geek girl this morning using Odigo (sort of
IM stuff), transcription follows:

MC: hey, can you read this?
GG: yes, sure
MC: good, may I ask you a personal question?
GG: sure
MC: what are you going to do this evening?
GG: well, I have to clean + iron the clothes
MC: do you need any help with your cleaning + ironing work?
GG: nope, I guess my boy-friend wouldn't be that happy about that
MC: uh oh... sorry... ok, nevermind
GG: no problem

Well, it's simply great. If you care, the website (mostly flash(r) stuff) is at
http://www.nexse.com/ -- look at the "People" page... they promoted me to
"Software Engineer" :)

> yep, agree. As mentioned we already agreed about a request+sent
> interface like "GET LOAD 1".

Yes, sure. Maybe we could create a layer between the available commands and the
daemon's interface. I mean, expose through the TCP/IP interface commands such
as getload and setload and wrap that into the code using a function which might
look like (please forgive me for using Java):

if (command.equals("getload")) {
  process_request(RequestType.GET, RequestOption.LOAD, command.getParams());
}

This way the telnet-like interface will look easier to a human being and all
commands can easily be mapped internally to our "get/set" protocol we already
defined.

> what is "pluto" ? ;)

Pluto is the italian name for Goofy's cat. Pippo is Goofy ;)

Here is a short hash map for your Italian Disney characters names needs:

Mickey Mouse -> Topolino
Donald Duck -> Paperino
Goofy -> Pippo
Goofy's dog -> Pluto

It is essential that you understand this hash map if you wish to collaborate
with Italian developers ;)

In the avarage short test software written by Italians, you're going to see
lots of:

char* pippo = "something";
char* pluto = "something else";

> Please notice that "getload" won't be enough.
> The libgomd methods will connect only to one configured gomd.
> So if you want to get e.g. the load of all nodes the gomd will handle
> this using gomd<->gomd (UDP) connections.
> So we need something like "GET/SET [option] [node-id, or node-range]
> for the interface.

Yes, again, we could wrap that internally using a function prototype like:

int process_request(RequestType reqType, RequestOption reqOpt,
                    RequestParams params);

> > 3) in case the hostname is not available, at least the IP address should be
> > provided
> every network node has a hostname. I prefer the hostname.

Mhh, are you sure about that? There are cases when you only have "localhost"
defined in /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname might even contain simply "localhost"
:/ I think of PlumpOS nodes where you cannot dinamically set the hostname if
not using DHCP + a local DNS server with local IPs to hostnames mappings. I
don't know. Probably the IP address is a good fallback in case you cannot get a
reasonable local host name. But this is not mission-critical right now :)

> > target which makes a tarball (or zip file) of that dir and puts it under
> > /tmp. That file should be uploaded and released into the "Files" section of
> > our website.
> .... for the lazy developer, great.

Yeah, I'd take care of that. By the way, the important thing is someone (namely
JP + Max) is actually coding and this is no doubt good because I can't put my
hands on cpp right now.

> Ciao ragazzi,

He he, you learn fast! :)

Ciao, Mirko.
--
Get your piece of history now! We would like to send
you a FREE Euro and a FREE report on world currency.