gomd-devel

Re: [gomd-devel] Gomd files committed to CVS

From: Matthias Rechenburg
Subject: Re: [gomd-devel] Gomd files committed to CVS
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 23:38:08 +0200

Hey Mirko,

how is your new work ? did it started already ?

On Dienstag 15 April 2003 22:52, Mirko Caserta wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 21:42:53 +0200
>
> "Gian Paolo Ghilardi" <address@hidden> wrote:
> > I've just committed a new release for the gomd class (gomd.h/gomd.cpp).
> > Please checkout.
>
> Done. Looks good.
>
> > Suggestions are welcome. :)
>
> Are you sure? ;P
>
> Here are mine:
>
> the "numerical menu" system is going to suck once we have all the commands
> implemented because there's a whole lot of them and it would scroll like
> hell.
>
> Imagine a menu like this:
>
> -- cut --
> Hello, this is the most wonderful daemon in the world.
>
> Commands:
> 1  -> some cmd
> 2  -> some cmd
> 3  -> some cmd
> 4  -> some cmd
> 5  -> some cmd
> 6  -> some cmd
> 7  -> some cmd
> 8  -> some cmd
> 9  -> some cmd
> 10 -> some cmd
> 11 -> some cmd
> 12 -> some cmd
> 13 -> some cmd
> 14 -> some cmd
> 15 -> some cmd
> 16 -> some cmd
> 17 -> some cmd
> 18 -> some cmd
> 19 -> some cmd
> 20 -> some cmd
>
> gomd #
>
> -- cut --
>
> Well, you get it :)

yep, agree. As mentioned we already agreed about a request+sent
interface like "GET LOAD 1".

> Furthermore, there's no need to output the available commands each time a
> request is sent. That wastes precious bytes :)
>
> Also, I think the "numerical menu" system sucks. I want to type commands,
> not numbers. They are easier to remember and to understand. In the weird
> case I don't have my favourite libgomd-based-app at hand, I want to be able
> and telnet myhost 9889 in order to have access to the daemon's interface.
>
> Here is what I'd make the session look like:
>
> -- cut --
> Welcome to the general openMosix daemon on myhost (node #1346)
>
> Available commands are: altertable, cippa, getnodeid, getnodelist,
> getnodeload, getnodespeed, hostname, lippa, myckeymouse, pippo, pluto,
> quit, reboot, shutdown. Type "help command" for help about a specific
> command.

what is "pluto" ? ;)

> Type "help" for a list of available commands.
> address@hidden getnodeid
> nodeid: 1346
>
> Type "help" for a list of available commands.
> address@hidden hostname
> hostname: myhost
>
> Type "help" for a list of available commands.
> address@hidden getnodespeed
> nodespeed: 16743
>
> Type "help" for a list of available commands.
> address@hidden help
>
> Available commands are: altertable, cippa, getnodeid, getnodelist,
> getnodeload, getnodespeed, hostname, lippa, mickeymouse, pippo, pluto,
> quit, reboot, shutdown. Type "help command" for help about a specific
> command.
>
> Type "help" for a list of available commands.
> address@hidden help mickeymouse
>
> Mickey Mouse(TM) is a wonderful and funny rat invented by Mr. Disney during
> the previous millennium.
>
> Usage: mickeymouse [avoid-cat|kill-insects|eat-stuff]

ahhh, good, hehehe

> Type "help" for a list of available commands.
> address@hidden quit
> quit: closing connection... see ya
> -- cut --

yep, that is better as the numeric menu system now.

Please notice that "getload" won't be enough.
The libgomd methods will connect only to one configured gomd.
So if you want to get e.g. the load of all nodes the gomd will handle
this using gomd<->gomd (UDP) connections.
So we need something like "GET/SET [option] [node-id, or node-range]
for the interface.

> 1) we have called it the "general openMosix daemon"! Be consistent and
> don't change its name to "General Purpose openMosix Daemon" even if it
> sounds prettier ;P (#define PROG_NAME somewhere)

yep

> 2) I'd love to have the hostname printed in the welcome screen and to have
> it stuck to the prompt like most default bashrc do, just in case I have 6
> open telnet connections to gomds, I don't want to feel lost :)

yep, good idea :)

> 3) in case the hostname is not available, at least the IP address should be
> provided

every network node has a hostname. I prefer the hostname.

> 4) the commands' list should be displayed in alphabetical order only when
> the "help" command it sent

yep

> 5) having on-line help for all commands would be a wonderful feature but
> maybe we don't need that right now ;)

yep, we need ;)

> Well, these are my suggestions. Probably some of them do suck also so
> please feel free to yell at me :)

no need to yell. You made your thoughts about it and they are more than
welcome and usefull for progressing.

> > PS: in next release I'll put also the docs (auto)generated via Doxygen.
>
> Good to know but, please, do not put the auto-generated docs into the CVS
> repository. I can tell you by personal experience that maintaining
> autogenerated-docs there is a blood-bath :/

aaah, JP will care about it, hehehe

> You should instead put a target in the Makefile which calls doxygen and
> puts the generated docs under a "docs" dir, then also have a "distdocs"

yep, we need a "docs" target.

> target which makes a tarball (or zip file) of that dir and puts it under
> /tmp. That file should be uploaded and released into the "Files" section of
> our website.

.... for the lazy developer, great.

> Just my 2 euro cents ;)
>
> Ciao, Mirko.

Ciao ragazzi,

Matt
--
E-mail  :  address@hidden
www     : http://www.openmosixview.com

We don't know who it was that discovered water, but we're pretty sure
that it wasn't a fish.            <\\\\><
        -- Marshall McLuhan