gnutls-devel

Re: select + record_recv

From: Sam Varshavchik
Subject: Re: select + record_recv
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 08:12:04 -0400

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos writes:

Sam Varshavchik wrote:
Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos writes:

In the early versions of GnuTLS I implemented a hack in order to use
select() to check whether there are data to read from the gnutls
session. Is this feature actually used? If you want to check for data in
a gnutls_session how do you do it?

I always thought that the correct logic is:

1) Non-blocking sockets are a must.

2) Check what gnutls_record_check_pending() tells you, first.

So do you traverse over all gnutls sessions and use the pending function?

Yes.

23 If there's nothing pending, poll() or select(), and if it indicates
that data is available, try gnutls_record_recv().

Now, if gnutls_record_recv() hands you back some data, you do have to
consume it. However, this logic seems to work reliably for me, in
event-driven situations.

Indeed this looks to be the correct approach.