gnutls-devel

Re: [gnutls-dev] gnutls's sonames

From: Tim Ringenbach
Subject: Re: [gnutls-dev] gnutls's sonames
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 07:30:01 -0600

Matthias Urlichs wrote:
Your system should have a /usr/lib/lbgnutls.so file (which corresponds
to the headers installed in /usr/include). You link against that.

Yes, it does. I know this.

Why would you care about the library's soname? The linker does the
Right Thing for you.

Because I'm building an autopackage, as I said earlier. People trying to install it will have different versions of gnutls. Right now, it insists the user either have mozilla nss, or gnutls11. If they have neither (or if mozilla nss is installed some place we can't find, like it commonly is), the autopackage refuses to install, because things wouldn't work.

You cannot build against other libgnutls versions anyway, because you
don't have the corresponding C header files installed.

Yeah, I figured I would install several additional versions of gnutls in private prefixes, and use those to link against. Unless gnutls is parallel installable, but I don't think it is. I know whenever e.g. gtk, changes its soname, they make the library parallel installable, so you can have gtk1.2 and gtk2.0 installed to the same prefix and build applications against both.