Re: GSoC candidate introduction / ideas

From: Stjepan Brkić
Subject: Re: GSoC candidate introduction / ideas
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 01:35:18 -0700

Hi Stjepan,

welcome to the GNUstep mailing list. I am you possible co-mentor if you get accepted to the GSoC. As the time to apply is already running out I don’t want to convince you of any specific task just choose what ever suits you best.

Hi!

I already decided — I’d like to work on Core Animation and its integration with AppKit. I think it suits my skillset best. Work on UIKit was also an option, but given the fact that I never did any iOS development, AppKit seems like a natural choice to me.

s the places in the GSoC are limited it would be great if you could convince us that your participation will result in a positive contribution to GNUstep. For this it would be nice to learn a bit more about your previous programming experience.

Most of my code used to be Python 3. I fell in love with it and in ~4 years of doing python, I did a bunch of smaller projects - most of which were of personal use. An example would be a simple web app that periodically scraped  my local public bus timetables and provided info when was the next bus taking off. But I guess Python isn’t really relevant for this project.

In the last 3 years I gained substantial experience in C - mostly (but not only) through my Computer Science, Algorithms, and OS university courses. I wrote a couple of side projects, the last being a 3D rendering engine backed by OpenGL.

I also did a fair share of UI programming, but most of it was in GTK. I did some rudimentary native OS X development, but a lot has changed in the ecosystem since then.

The last couple of weeks I spent tinkering and researching Cocoa internals. It seems super interesting. I’m excited about some asprects of the CA integration - CARenderer for example - as it apperas to have a fair share of computer science packed in.

I understand that you are new to Objective-C but this language is easy to learn if you already know C and object oriented concepts. Just tell us a bit what coding you have done before

Exactly. I recently dived into Objective C more seriously, and I love it. I covered all the basics and am now tinkering with some more complex parts of the language, as well as exploring the Foundation framework.

and feel free to ask a lot of questions about GNUstep.

Thanks. I’ve been mostly harassing Ivan with a bunch of questions, but I don’t doubt there will also be questions for the rest of the people involved with the project :)

Stjepan