Cairo font configuration

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Cairo font configuration
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2017 11:26:33 +0000

On Sun, Nov 26, 2017, 09:50 Riccardo Mottola <address@hidden> wrote:

There are some facts I don't like and want to change:
* NEXTSPACE is based on quite outdated release of GNUstep (base 1.24.8, gui and back 0.24.1);
* It is based on ART backend. I want to use Cairo backend but ART has usefull features (.nfont packages provide ability to set hinting and antialiasing options on per font basis).

I understand that! ART continues to be intriguing and it still works after many years, it is fast, fotns look better and the possibility of using non-antialiased fonts is just great. They look far better in Terminal, Code-Editors and for my test also Menus.

Doesn't Cairo use fontconfig?

Or does something in the way GNUstep-back uses it make it ignore the fontconfig configuration?