Git migration nearly complete

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Git migration nearly complete
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2017 16:20:53 -0700

Hi,

I'm somewhat reasonably confident in the current conversion that we
can probably open the floodgates at this point. Bulk of the
subprojects have been converted.

I've marked where I stopped with the pushes in the repolists.txt
file[3]. I have stopped not because I don't have the repositories
locally, but because it's past midnight, and I'd rather finish this
tomorrow. I've been at this for several hours now, and it won't go
anywhere by tomorrow. Remaining repositories will be uploaded
tomorrow.

I will publish the JSON files mapping old commit hashes to new commit
hashes tomorrow. I have also created replace refs, which you can fetch
as follows[1]:

I'll send a wider, better phrased announcement to discuss-gnustep@
tomorrow once these things are done.

How does the contribution process change, for now?
- anyone can clone the repos and work on a patchseries
- contributors should ideally create a fork, and create a pull request
which will be quickly reviewed and accepted (assuming copyright
assignment paperwork has been filed with FSF)
- commit messages are expected to be well formatted
- long-standing contributors who've had commit access before should
send Gregory or me their Github username, so they can be added to the
gnustep org
- if you object to interacting with Github, you can either keep the
patches locally for now, or send them over email to a person with
Github account, who can then push them

- if you wish to use Subversion, you can do so for now; the directory
structure and revisions will obviously be different, but Github offers
a Subversion frontend to the Git repositories
  - note that whatever future Git hosting software we choose to use
might not give you the same feature (but it's expected that we'll keep
a primarily-read-mirror on Github)

Concerns of the community regarding where GNUstep should live have
been heard, and the home on Github is considered temporary. I expect
that either myself or Gregory will be able to stand up our own
self-hosted service some time during the next week (probably weekend).

I have also disabled Wiki, Issues and Projects features on individual
projects, unless it looks like they were used. Please let me know if
you'd like to make use of any of these features.

Unless there were typos, I've configured the commit notifications to
head out to address@hidden You can sign up for this
mailing list on Google Groups[2]. Like our use of Github, this email
address is temporary until I figure out how best to set up a mailing
list. The emails themselves are not super useful, as they do not
include the full content of the patch. However, for the time being,
this will suffice.

Let me know if you have any concerns about how the transition to Git
has been executed. While we won't be backing away from transition
itself (given that setting up Subversion hosting that contributors can
access in a secure fashion from scratch would probably be even more
work), I'd be happy to address any issues you can spot. I've invested
many hours tweaking this so it's done right (especially the replace
refs generation), so I hope the output of the effort is not too
terrible.

[1]: https://stackoverflow.com/a/20072413/39974
[2]: https://groups.google.com/group/gnustep-commits
[3]: