Re: GNA Shutting Down?

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: GNA Shutting Down?
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2017 16:54:01 -0500

Fred,

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 4:45 PM, Fred Kiefer <address@hidden> wrote:
Sorry, I must have missed something. Why GitHub as the main repository? We had a very similar discussion before, but without the time pressure and there, as far as I remember, we all agreed to move to git on Savannah, plus a mirror on GitHub and some SVN access to that. As far as I understand git, it isn’t that important which part gets called the main repository, so technically this isn’t a big difference. But on the symbolic level I think it is important to stay on the free infrastructure. And as an added benefit, most of us already have a Savannah account either from the time when GNUstep was still hosted there or from accessing the bug system. That way most of GNUstep would be back on one system.

​I'm apprehensive about Savannah as it took them about 2-3 months to respond and then comply with my request to add repos to git repo for GNUstep on their system.  It makes me worry that adding any additional repos would incur a similar wait (and waste) of our time.   On any other system adding a repo is a click of a button.  On savannah I have to submit a request to their team, then pester them for months until they actually get it done and pray they get it right.

I am okay with using savannah as a mirror, but at this point I have my doubts about it being our MAIN repo as they are slow, overworked, and suffer from many of the same issues as GNA does.​

The way the transfer gets done is something different. If this is easier by using a local gitlab instance, fine by me. (This is hopefully completely unrelated to gitlab.com, which just had a huge meltdown: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/02/01/gitlab_data_loss/)

​No, not at the gitlab site.  I'm talking about using the gitlab community version of their software.​

What I don’t understand is the haste that gets applied here.  According to the initial GNA! message there should be about three more months for the move.

Yes, I know..  ​What got me upset (and very panicked, frankly) is that I cannot (and neither can a few others) access the repo.  I get an ssh issue.  Which probably just means their SSH daemon crashed.  Perhaps I should calm down and see if it comes back up.   The repo going down, however, underscores an important point.  We need to get off of their site ASAP and the sooner the better.

I apologize for panicking.  I just was shocked by this.​

Fred

​Greg