Re: Proposal: Switch back to savannah using GIT

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: Re: Proposal: Switch back to savannah using GIT
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2015 09:22:37 +0000 (UTC)

[Apologies for replying to an old message.]

В Fri, 29 May 2015 13:50:19 +0200, Luboš Doležel написа:

> Dne 29.5.2015 13:40, Stefan Bidigaray napsal:
>> OK, so people have said Savannah doesn't fulfill our needs, but never
>> explained how so? And how github manages to do so? Ivan mentioned
>> Savannah doesn't support separate repos, what does that mean to us?
>
> It means all GNUstep components would exist as a single Git repo, which
> is plain wrong. If anything, it means you have to version and branch
> everything at once (i.e. every app would have to have the same version
> number).

Savannah supports multiple Git repositories per project, and some GNU
projects use this feature (hurd, guix, freedink, smalltalk, to name a
few).  You must file a support request and it is done/configured manually
by the Savannah admins; perhaps this hurdle has lead you to believe that
it is not possible.

> Savannah also looks like a resurrection from 1990s. It simply looks
> dead.

Well, the look & feel is certainly very much outdated.  Some features are
lacking or rather annoying (poorly designed/implemented), etc.  There
were multiple efforts to rewrite/modernize the whole thing but as always,
lack of manpower is the main obstacle.  The few people who are still
active are engaged in keeping the beast functioning.  For bug tracking
specifically, there's an alternative at http://debbugs.gnu.org (which
also has its critics).  There used to be a GNATS server in the past that
is no longer maintained I believe.

Regards,
Yavor
(Savannah admin in retirement)