Re: corebase - configure and compiler checks

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: corebase - configure and compiler checks
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2015 19:47:08 +0200

Stefan Bidigaray wrote:
I don't have a problem with your changes. Were you running into some particular problem? The thing with GNUstep Make is that it does not use the correct compiler variable for Objective-C sources. Instead of using OBJCC it uses CC to compile ObjC files (at least, this was the case the last time I checked), which is technically wrong. Additionally, in theory, as long as the same runtime was being used, CoreBase's C files could be compiled with a different compiler than Base, seeing as it talks directly to the runtime.

To comment on Lubos' comment, CoreBase does currently require an Objective-C compiler to support the ObjC -> C bridge. There are plenty of .m files in the source. Ideally, these should one day be moved to Base because they really do not belong in CoreBase. More ideally, CoreBase and Base should merge one day so that all the glue code could be simplified.
Indeed, Obj-C compiler is needed. Essentially with my change I am following gnustep's base assumption that CC and OBJC are the same compiler and it needs to be the obj-c one.

You are right that this is tecnically not perfect... perhaps we could extend your configure to use OBJC and resort back to CC or the other way around for a more flexible configuration. However since we support just gcc and clang where the assumption is correct, it is perhaps overkill.

I just changed the "default" so that you compile with the same compiler as the configured one: you need a valid runtime and the standard compiler picked up might not have objc support. You can still override CC and that will be used instead of make's config.

You just made a point to extend gnustep make :)

Riccardo