Re: New GNUstep releases for base and gui?

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: New GNUstep releases for base and gui?
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2015 14:32:56 +0100

Am 21.03.2015 um 12:14 schrieb David Chisnall:
> On 20 Mar 2015, at 22:29, Gregory Casamento
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> BTW, one thing I've been thinking of doing lately is creating
>> "rpm" and "deb" repositories so that we can distribute our own
>> packages in a fashion similar to how the mono project does.
>
> It's been a while since I ran Linux, but I found this kind of thing
> from upstream to be highly counter-productive.  The dependencies are
> always subtly wrong in the third-party repos (because different
> distros name things slightly differently, even between forks from the
> same base) and it reduces the incentive for distros to create their
> own packages.

I tend to agree with David here. Abstract packages are of no use. We
will need packages for specific distributions and we already have those
for a few systems. If we really need more it would be rather easy to
extend, for example, the Open Build Service setup for GNustep
(https://build.opensuse.org/project/show?project=X11%3AGNUstep) to
include more repositories, as they call distributions. Of course this is
only useful if somebody takes over the responsibility for these new
distributions. As David already pointed out there are always some subtle
changes that need to be taken care of for each distribution.

Fred