Re: Painter Fuzzy Node in github

From: Johan Ceuppens
Subject: Re: Painter Fuzzy Node in github
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 00:10:58 +1200

Hi Johan,

I still don't understand where this ties into Opal, which is an implementation of the CoreGraphics APIs.  Which CoreGraphics APIs require this functionality to implement them?  CoreGraphics is an immediate mode API - it doesn't provide any kind of scene graph.  Scene graphs are built on top using CoreAnimation layers (or Cocoa Views).  I'm still not sure where these fit into Opal.  I'd also recommend that you read the OpenStep or Cocoa API naming conventions, as your method names are highly problematic (e.g. get methods that don't take a pointer) and you're writing very large amounts of code that could be trivially replaced with a fraction of the amount (and with significantly less overhead - creating a class is not free, each one will use at least 4KB of RAM in the runtime and you're creating a load of classes that just differ by a function that could easily be a block [or even function pointer] ivar).

I've put the code in its own repo and library (GPL, LGPL) and it compiles now, it's at

https://github.com/enrytheermit/gnustep/tree/master/gnustep-fuzzy

Please slow down, take a step back, work out:

- What you are trying to do.

See my previous answer in the mail "patch for start on Opal Work",
I will put it on the wiki at http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/Fuzzy

I will write some documentation about what I am trying to do over there. I'll tell you when it's ready. The main purpose is putting some machine learning in a NextStep/GNUstep system which has enough idle cycles already.

- How, if at all, it fits in with GNUstep.

It alleviates the GNUstep system with less simpler screen updating for example.

- What the best way of implementing it is.

As a seperate library it can even be used for games built with GS :-)

I hope I answer your questions this way.
`Enry