Re: GNUstep on OpenBSD alpha

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: GNUstep on OpenBSD alpha
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 10:06:36 +0100

On 17 Jul 2014, at 18:49, Sebastian Reitenbach <address@hidden> wrote:

> Unfortunately, there is no alpha backend in llvm, so its build
> with gcc, like its done on macppc platform.

There was an Alpha back end for LLVM, but it was removed because no one cared
about it enough to maintain it and Alpha is basically a dead architecture at
this point.  Given how simple the Alpha ISA is, it wouldn't be too difficult to
resurrect it, but I doubt anyone will.  It's not like anyone is trying to sell
new Alpha systems now.  We dropped Alpha support in FreeBSD a while ago for the
same reason (and Alpha was the first 64-bit system to be tier 1 for us).

David

--
This email complies with ISO 3103