Re: Detection of main bundle path in NSBundle

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Detection of main bundle path in NSBundle
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 10:57:24 +0100

On 10 Apr 2014, at 10:31, Mathias Bauer <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the NSBundle implementation detects the main bundle path by evaluating the
> environment variables LIBRARY_COMBO, GNUSTEP_HOST_CPU and GNUSTEP_HOST_OS.
>
> IMHO the GNUSTEP_HOST would be even better, at the end it is what also the
> compiler uses to detect the target platform to build for.
>
> Any objections against checking for GNUSTEP_HOST in NSBundle also?

The current code should be looking in the path where gnustep-make puts the
binary on a non-flattened system; The non-flattened filesystem layout has a
hierarchy of directories with separate OS directories within the CPU
architecture directory and the binary will be in the subdirectory corresponding
to the OS in use.

I dopn't see much point of checking for a binary where it shouldn't be (though
I guess we could print a warning if it looks like the binary is in the wrong
place).
Has this come up because some bug has crept in to the non-flattened filesystem
support and things are bing installed in the wrong place (or there's an error
in the code in NSBundle)?