Re: [bug #41125] -make documentation is un-installable

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: [bug #41125] -make documentation is un-installable
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2014 22:31:41 +0100

Am 07.01.2014 21:32, schrieb Richard Frith-Macdonald:

> To me the term 'shell snippet' means a script to be executed and I
> haven't seen you provide that.

I gave a bunch of commands which can be copy & pasted into a shell as-is.

> So, again I'm guessing a bit ... the only think I can think  of three
> of, were three examples of trying to install documentation wikthout
> having first installed gnustep-make.  But if that's what you are
> referring to, why are you asking me to 'try' them (particularly when
> I've already explained a few times that installing gnustep-make is a
> prerequisite for everything else, and build/install without
> gnustgep-make is not expected/intended to work)? Perhaps you missed
> reading one or two of my emails (or perhaps I missed one of yours)?

I'm very well capable of reading your emails and did so, but none of
them gave a satisfying answer. This prerequisite you talk about is a
showstopper in some environments and does not solve the problem. If
having showstoppers is the intention, I feel sorry for GNUstep.

>> Documentation/GNUmakefile line 37ff attempts to go such a route
>> without packaging, but it's buggy and/or incomplete. But I
>> mentioned the latter already.
>
> I don't know what 37ff means

line 37ff = line 37 and the following lines.

> It can't install the documentation because, at this
> point you haven't configured/installed gnustep-make, so the eventual
> installation location is unknown.

It could, because at this point -make is actually configured, so the
installation location and layout is defined. But it ignores each of
--prefix, --with-layout and DESTDIR. That's what I'm talking about and
that's what the shell snippets demonstrate.

>> I have another ~15 bugs similar to this one stacked.
>
> Well, [...]

Please scratch that. Very apparently it's much easier to fix the bug
than to explain somebody with commit privileges that the bug is actually
a bug, so I'll do this next time (and keep the patch in the packaging
patch stack).

Markus

--
Dipl. Ing. (FH) Markus Hitter