Re: GNUstep.org website redesign proposal

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: GNUstep.org website redesign proposal
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2014 15:27:40 -0500

Sebastian,

On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 5:11 AM, Sebastian Reitenbach <address@hidden> wrote:

On Wednesday, January 1, 2014 19:18 CET, Riccardo Mottola <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> I totally agree, between Xmas, New Year and "bugs" I had to time for
> website coding. If you check what I started on gap.nongnu.org, it has
> only menus which I want to eliminate too and it works on iPhone (except
> for the menus).
>
> I had no time to  follow and to reply all the threads sorry. I do not
> like Sebastian's design too much aesthetically, however he has valid
> points in the website restructuring, which needs to be done anyway also
> for the design I have in mind. I'll layout some ideas I have discussed

> with Greg as soon as I can. I hope that we can share ideas and efforts
> there.

Maybe you could create a PoC webpage somewhere, to better show
off what you have in mind and discussed with Greg?
Also why your design then ended up as is, some background information
would be nice ;)

I agree.  It would be nice to have an example to work on.

Then I think it will be easier to take the best ideas from both designs, and
combine the work.

Also agreed.

> Actually, the best would be to start the restructuring using the
> current, proven look and later apply a "new" look.

For me this sounds than much more work than doing a radical change.
Now you are going to touch every page, restructuring, then you go
touch the pages again, applying the nits needed for the new CSS and
style to work?

I disagree with Riccardo here in the sense that the current look is not "proven" at all.   What needs to happen is a radical redesign of the site and an entirely new way of presenting the information on it.  I hate to sound like a business person, but our recent discussion on the list with Doc O'Leary did yield a few unpleasant revelations.    One of which is that our message is entirely confusing and that the website is a big part of that.

To everyone else, thanks for the feedback so far. I'll collect it, and
send a summary, I think latest on the weekend.

Thanks, GC
cheers,
Sebastian

--