problems debugging with clang 3.2, gdb 7.6, libobjc2 SVN, and Ubuntu 13.

From: Eric Wasylishen
Subject: problems debugging with clang 3.2, gdb 7.6, libobjc2 SVN, and Ubuntu 13.10
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 13:50:38 -0600

Hi,

Just want to report that I got a new development environment set up, and I've
observed two problems with debuggers:

1. "step" / "s" command in gdb doesn't step in to Objective-C methods; it acts
like "next"/"n" and steps to the next line of code. I've verified that I'm
compiling code with 'make debug=yes'. Same thing happens with gdb 7.6 or
lldb-3.3.

2. Printing ivars is broken. gdb seems to print  self->isa when you do "print
someivar" or "print self->someivar". lldb-3.2 prints an error asking you to
report a bug.

I configured gnustep-make with --enable-debug-by-default
--enable-objc-nonfragile-abi,  gnustep-base with --disable-mixedabi.

I talked to Alex S. on Étoilé IRC and he observed the same two problems on a
similar setup as me; Quentin also mentioned the ivar printing problem to me.

Anyone have an idea of where the actual problem lies, and possible workarounds?
I have yet to try newer versions of clang, and plan to do that.

Thanks,
Eric