Re: Hash computation and TFB

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Hash computation and TFB
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2013 15:07:30 +0100

On 6 Aug 2013, at 14:39, Richard Frith-Macdonald <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 6 Aug 2013, at 14:30, Stefan Bidi <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> I copied the hash algorithm straight out of -base, so they should match.  I
>> remember a few months ago Richard was playing around with hash functions and
>> this might be causing some issues, now.
>
> It wouldn't on a normal setup ... the experimental hash code is used only if
> you explicitly build it.

Incidentally, the new hash looks to give a really good distribution, but is
significantly slower.  That would make it poor for listeral strings.

But ... I recall David mentioning the possibility of changing the layout of
literal objects produced by the compiler.

Perhaps it would not be unreasonable to add a flag to clang to get it to use
MurmurHash3 (which is public domain) to generate the literal string hash at
compile time ... so that we could use it directly from gnustep-base (and
corebase).  That would give us a great hash distribution and zero computation
time for literal strings.