Re: __NSCF** classes and libobjc2 dependency on C++ runtime

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: __NSCF** classes and libobjc2 dependency on C++ runtime
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 17:49:17 +0100

On 4 Jun 2013, at 15:45, Chan Maxthon <address@hidden> wrote:

> Indeed I am not that sure about how GNUstep currently handles exceptions but
> I am giving you ideas from some crash reports with symbols from an Apple
> system.

You are not giving me ideas.  We already have an implementation of this that
works better than the Apple implementation.  Why would you:

1) Think I didn't know how the Apple implementation works?  I talk fairly often
to the developers of Apple's compiler and runtime?
2) Think that I would need you to explain how to implement something that I
already have working?

> And the conclusion on toll-free bridging is about the latest Apple
> implementation. You should really get a Mac and poke around. Just for your
> information, what I poked around with is OS X 10.8.3 and iOS 6.1.3, both.

I have a Mac, but reverse engineering at this level of detail is of dubious
legality.  By posting this kind of thing, you potentially open GNUstep
developers up to legal problems.  And, for this, we should thank you?

> With non-fragile ABI it is almost impossible to construct a C struct that can
> perfectly mirror Objective-C objects' memory layout, especially under some
> corner circumstances.

That's what the non-fragile ABI means and why @defs() is not permitted with the
non-fragile ABI.

If you want to poke around in the internals of OS X, then that's fine.  Have
fun, learn things.  But please be advised that:

1) You are most likely breaking Apple's T&Cs.
2) As a result, we most likely can't accept any code from you.
3) If you are going to post the results of anything other than the input-output
semantics of Apple's functions, then we will need to ban you from the lists to
avoid legal complications.

David