Re: Arrow of NSMenu

From: Eric Wasylishen
Subject: Re: Arrow of NSMenu
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2013 15:51:29 -0400

Hi Fred,

On 2013-04-06, at 9:03 AM, Fred Kiefer <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>
> I don't like this change very much and will try explain why. This does not
> mean that I doubt the technical correctness of this patch. I just think we
> should try to find a better solution.

Agreed, it's ugly.

> - First off, I don't really see the issue here. This may be because I don't
> use themes. But can somebody please explain what would be the problem with
> using the official names for images in themes? Riccardo already stated that
> things would work when using the name NSMenuArrow.

If we don't use the nsmappings.strings for themes, themes may have to provide a
lot of duplicate files (e..g common_3DArrowRight.tiff, NSMenuArrow.tiff) with
the same contents. Not a huge problem… but it's ugly to have different image
lookup logic for images inside themes and other images.

> - The big doubt I am having with the change is that now GSTheme has to know
> about that name mapping which was internal to NSImage up to now.
> A solution where similar code would be used inside the NSImage method
> _setImagePath:name: seems a lot cleaner to me. If we build up that reverse
> map you are using, all the necessary information should be available in that
> method. I think this would belong into the else case of the if (image != nil)
> test you introduced.

I considered that - so +[NSImage _setImagePath:name:] for common_3DArrowRight
would also set the path for NSMenuArrow and anything else that maps to
common_3DArrowRight.

There is a corner case with that; if the theme provides both NSMenuArrow and
common_3DArrowRight, the image used for NSMenuArrow depends on which call to
+[NSImage _setImagePath:name:] is made first.

> - Another way to get rid of the problem would be to completely remove the
> name mapping from NSImage. I am a bit reluctant to propose this. That
> mechanism has been around for a very long time and it allows us to have
> clearer names. But with the theme code in place this mechanism isn't needed
> that much any more.

I committed a more radical redesign that is much cleaner, I think.
Pasting my changelog comment:

        I removed the step in theme activation where we call
        +[NSImage _setImagePath:name:] on each image in the theme, and instead
        modified +[NSImage _pathForImageNamed:] to also search the theme images
        directory.

        When a GSTheme activates now, it only calls +[NSImage
_reloadCachedImages]
        which checks all NSImage cached by name and reloads any whose path has
        changed.

My only worry is whether this will break the GTK or windows themes. IIRC they
replace the NSImage class and override +imageNamed:, so I think they'll still
work.

Eric