Trouble building projects on SuSE

From: Randy J. Zauhar
Subject: Trouble building projects on SuSE
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2013 11:10:58 -0500

Hi Folks,

I have successfully built GNUstep on a number of platforms, but there is always
something new to go wrong!

This time I am working under SuSE ( openSUSE 12.1 (x86_64) ). In the past I
built everything from downloads, this time I tried using zypper to install
everything.

I backed up to gcc 4.5 (because of some initial errors + discussion thread
warnings, maybe all a red herring). Zypper reports the following gcc-related
items as installed:

i | gcc45                             | The GNU C Compiler and Support Files
                              | package
i | gcc45-c++                         | The GNU C++ Compiler
                              | package
i | gcc45-fortran                     | The GNU Fortran Compiler and Support
Files                            | package
i | gcc45-info                        | Documentation for the GNU compiler
collection                         | package
i | gcc45-locale                      | Locale Data for the GNU Compiler
Collection                           | package
i | gcc45-obj-c++                     | GNU Objective C++ Compiler
                              | package
i | gcc45-objc                        | GNU Objective C Compiler
                              | package
i | libgcc45                          | C compiler runtime library
                              | package
i | libgcc46-32bit                    | C compiler runtime library
                              | package

NOTE that I did NOT remove libgcc46-32bit, as zypper warns that it will
'downgrade' dozens of apps and libraries to 32-bit, with dire consequences to
follow, I am sure.

The following GNUstep items are reported :

i | gnustep-back                  | The GNUstep Cairo Backend Library
 | package
i | gnustep-back-doc              | GNUstep Cairo Backend Library Documentation
 | package
i | gnustep-base                  | GNUstep Base library
 | package
i | gnustep-base-doc              | GNUstep Base Library Developer
Documentation | package
i | gnustep-gui                   | The GNUstep GUI Library
 | package
i | gnustep-gui-doc               | GNUstep GUI Library Documentation
 | package
i | gnustep-make                  | GNUstep Makefile Package
 | package
i | gnustep-make-doc              | GNUstep Makefile Package Documentation
 | package

GNUstep was loaded from this repo:

# | Alias                              | Name                               |
Enabled | Refresh
--+------------------------------------+------------------------------------+---------+--------
1 | GNUstep_2.6.0-1                    | GNUstep 2.6.0-1                    |
Yes     | Yes

SO, everything seems OK, but when I source the GNUstep environment and try to
build a trivial tool, I get this:

# make
This is gnustep-make 2.6.0. Type 'make print-gnustep-make-help' for help.
Making all for tool LogTest...
 Linking tool LogTest ...
/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.5/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld:
skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libgnustep-base.so when searching for
-lgnustep-base
/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.5/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld:
skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libgnustep-base.so when searching for
-lgnustep-base
/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.5/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld:
cannot find -lgnustep-base
/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.5/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld:
skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libpthread.so when searching for -lpthread
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

It bitches about  'incompatible' /usr/lib/libgnustep-base.so - however, I see

# file /usr/lib/libgnustep-base.so.1.22.0
/usr/lib/libgnustep-base.so.1.22.0: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386,
version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked,
BuildID[sha1]=0x98b3eaa5772d648cba3f519387a6b6564e3c8f2a, stripped

and my tool object :

 # file obj/LogTest.obj/source.m.o
obj/LogTest.obj/source.m.o: ELF 32-bit LSB relocatable, Intel 80386, version 1
(SYSV), not stripped

They are both 32-bit so what is the deal? Is this a library version issue? I
see that the latest GNUstep base is 1.24.3, where I have  1.22.0 installed, so
could that lead to some incompatibility? But, incompatible with what?

Any advice appreciated!!

Randy

Randy J. Zauhar, PhD
Assoc. Prof. of Biochemistry
Director, Graduate Program in Bioinformatics
Dept. of Chemistry & Biochemistry
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
600 S. 43rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104

Phone:    (215)596-8691
FAX:        (215)596-8543
E-mail:    address@hidden<mailto:address@hidden>
Web:    http://binfcompsci.usp.edu/~zauhar

"The collapse will not be televised. Ignored and alone, each of us will
experience it singly. As blemish and accusation, you will be photoshopped from
the American Dream group portrait. The lower you slip, the more invisible you
will become. The disconnect between what's real and what's broadcast will
become even more obscene by the day."

  --  Philadelphia writer Linh Dinh, 29 December 2010