Re: Tooltips in save panels

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Tooltips in save panels
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 10:51:00 +0100

Hi,

Wolfgang Lux wrote:
Fred Kiefer wrote:

The backend implementation simply passes on the window level to the window
manager if that is WindowMaker (which Riccardo is using), so I'm inclined to
think that my comment _does_ reflect the implementation in XGServerWindow.m.
Another point is that XGServerWindow also attempts to map window levels onto
NET-WM window types for other window managers, which may or may not work well
(for instance, the mapping is more or less broken when using Apple's quartz-wm).

I am using Window Maker, yes.

This could explain some things: tooltips work fine on Windows with win32! Also, sometimes tooltips are shown black in Gorm for exmaple (Gregory has this problem often). I never experienced this if not yesterday, but just clicking the windows made the problem disappear. I suppose there can be confusion in layering.

I think Wolfgang's idea of putting them at popupbutton level is fine, it would solve most problems, except putting a label on a menu-item of a popupbutton itself (but it would when closed I suppose). Perhaps it should be done immediately post-release, but if you have a patch I can try it.

Riccardo