Re: "Modern" server socket programming?

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: "Modern" server socket programming?
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 18:39:20 +0000

On 9 Jan 2013, at 16:47, Marcus Müller wrote:

> to me that's understandable. I've never seen the point in ARC, too - until we
> switched a rather huge codebase to ARC. The increase in readability and
> clarity was extremely significant. Also, robustness increased dramatically. I
> was probably the biggest opponent to the whole conversion, as I considered it
> a waste of time and resources, but I'm totally impressed by the final result.
> It's now very clear to me why Apple is pushing in that direction and I really
> appreciate what David and others have done so far to bring it to GNUstep.

I should point out that there are a number of bug fixes to the ARC logic in
libobjc2 trunk, so if you're using ARC it's well worth using trunk instead of
1.6.  I hope to release 1.7 relatively soon (I want to improve exception
support in the presence of foreign / C++ exceptions and to test the MIPS64
assembly before then).

David

-- Sent from my PDP-11