Re: Install location for libobjc2

From: Sebastian Reitenbach
Subject: Re: Install location for libobjc2
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2012 17:37:55 +0100

 Hi,

On Friday, November 2, 2012 17:11 CET, Tom Davie <address@hidden> wrote:

> [...]
> >> libobjc2, and I'm having trouble installing the svn trunk version.
> >>
> >> It appears that libojbc2 is being installed into /usr/local/lib, rather
> >> than /usr/GNUstep/Local/Library/Libraries as I'd expect.  This is causing
> >> configuring GNUstep-base to die saying my obj-c compiler does not work (as
> >> it can't find the runtime).
> >>
> >> The only way I can see this happening is if Makefile is being used rather
> >> than GNUmakefile.  In what circumstances will this happen?  How would I go
> >> about restoring correct behaviour?
> >
> > Using code from svn then all you shuld need to do is:
> >
> > 1. install gnustep-make ... so you have a gnustep environment to install
> > libobjc2 into.
> > 2. build/install libobjc2 using gnu-make ... which should use the
> > GNUmakefile (perhaps you are an a system which uses another 'make' and call
> > gnu-make 'gmake')
> >
> > The GNUmakefile should install things into the right place.
>
> Hiya Richard,
>
> Trying to convince libobjc2 to live in the GNUstep hierarchy is not working
> well.  make on my system is GNU make 3.81 and gnustep-make is installed,
> unfortunately though, the library is still being stuck in /usr/local/lib.
>
> Meanwhile David Chisnall tells me off-list that /usr/local/lib is in fact the
> correct location for libobjc2 to live.  Unfortunately, gnustep-base's
> configure script does not seem to be able to pick up libojbc2 installed here.
>  It fails with this in the config log:
> configure:13192: clang -o conftest -g -O2
> -I/usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Headers -I/usr/GNUstep/Local/Library/Headers
> -I/usr/GNUstep/Local/Library/Headers  -fgnu-runtime -x objective-c
> -L/usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Libraries
> -L/usr/GNUstep/Local/Library/Libraries -L/usr/GNUstep/Local/Library/Libraries
> conftest.c -lrt -ldl  -lpthread -rdynamic -pthread -shared-libgcc
> -fexceptions -fobjc-nonfragile-abi -fgnu-runtime
> -L/home/tatd2/GNUstep/Library/Libraries
> -L/usr/GNUstep/Local/Library/Libraries
> -L/usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Libraries -lobjc -lm     >&5
> clang: warning: argument unused during compilation: '-shared-libgcc'
> In file included from conftest.c:99:
> In file included from ././config/config.objc.m:2:
> ././config/objc-common.g:53:8: warning: direct access to objective-c's isa is
> deprecated in favor of object_setClass() and object_getClass()
> [-Wdeprecated-objc-isa-usage]
>  obj->isa = self;
>       ^
> ././config/objc-common.g:46:5: note: ivar is declared here
> id isa;
>    ^
> 1 warning generated.
> /tmp/conftest-Pwj6Qb.o: In function `main':
> /home/tatd2/gnustep-base/././config/config.objc.m:21: undefined reference to
> `objc_msg_lookup_sender'
> clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see
> invocation)
>
> Any Help with this would be much appreciated

here is how I do it on OpenBSD:

1. install libobjc2 using the Makefile, not the GNUmakefile, which will end up
in /usr/local
2. install gnustep-make, there I use LDFLAGS='-L/usr/local/lib'
CPPFLAGS='-I/usr/local/include/' in the environment when running configure
3. install gnustep-base and others. at that time, gnustep-make should have
picked up the CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS from its installation time
    and should use them.

hth,
Sebastian