Re: objc_msgSendSuper implementation?

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: objc_msgSendSuper implementation?
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2012 10:34:02 +0100

On 9 Oct 2012, at 10:29, Luboš Doležel wrote:

> And what exactly is the fast path? objc_msg_lookup_super()?

The fast path is the cached lookup, which involves no calls into the runtime at
all and just checks that the cached lookup is valid before calling it.

> Because I wrote my own objc_msgSendSuper()/objc_msgSendSuper2() in assembly
> that passes the arguments on to objc_msg_lookup_super and then jumps to the
> return value of that.

For what platform?  This is indeed possible, but it's going to be slower than
the existing mechanism because it won't play as well with the CPU's branch
predictor...

David

-- Sent from my brain