Away for a week

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Away for a week
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 23:13:22 +0200

I will be away for a few days, but am already thinking about what to do after my return. In the last weeks I did mostly follow the complains on the mailing list and tried to fix what was on the top of the list, a rather frustrating way of programming. I want to get back to a mode, where the task at hand is a bit more planed.

There are different areas, where I have half thought up extensions for GNUstep. I will list some of them in this mail to get your comments while I am away:

1. Support for image colours. This feature would make most of the current themes support obsolete, as much of it would be obtainable by colour lists. The big missing part is the setting and drawing of image colours in the back end. To implement this we could use simple image tileing, similar to what is used in the themes bundle.

2. Better interaction with different windows manager. This is a bit harder, as it has loads of different aspects. First there is [NSScreen visibleFrame] and the use of it. Second the window borders. Third there is all the stuff from freedesktop.org.

3. I did promise some work on the Windows backend. Is there really anybody interested in that?

4. Clean up of the text system.

5. The old boring cleanup and bug fixes on GUI.

6. There is also the idea that I did write a few months ago in a mail to Richard, that we should use gdomap to implement more of the GUI general interaction methods (like hideOtherApplications:) by exporting the list of the running GNUstep applications with an interface similar to what gets used for the donames() function. This would be used by the GSServiceManager to provide some methods for NSApplication and NSWorkspace.

This is a lot more than I am able do for the rest of this year, so please give me your priorities.

Fred