Re: Proposal: NSBundle frameworkWithName:

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Proposal: NSBundle frameworkWithName:
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 16:21:43 +0100 (BST)

> Note, that there is already libraryWithName: method as GNUstep extension
> for NSBundle. frameworkWithName is alternative to that.

Yes, but -libraryWithName: is still a bit temporary, it's not a polished
API, maybe it's not that great an idea.  The idea behind -libraryWithName:
is that a library class could find its own resources by calling
-libraryWithName: with its own name.  For a framework it's different,
because using -frameworkForClass: self should give you the framework
bundle, so a framework does not need that.  Of course -frameworkForClass:
might not work completely portably on completely all platforms, but when
it does it's very nice.

> Besides that, i think that Frameworks in GNUstep should be
> more advertised and presented as 'better' alternative to libraries. I
> know that they (frameworks) do not work well on all platforms, but that
> should not be the reason for deprecating them.

They are not deprecated.

The best course to take for GNUstep is to stay neutral in the discussion.
If you like frameworks, use them.  If you don't like them, don't use them.
:-)