gnuspeech-contact

Re: [gnuspeech-contact] gnuspeech-contact Digest, Vol 61, Issue 1

From: Kenneth Reid Beesley
Subject: Re: [gnuspeech-contact] gnuspeech-contact Digest, Vol 61, Issue 1
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 14:47:14 -0600

> On 20Jul2016, at 10:00, address@hidden wrote:
>
> From: Paul Tyson <address@hidden>
>
> Can anyone comment on the suitability, benefits, challenges, etc. of
> equipping gnuspeech with a parser for International Phonetic Alphabet
> input?
>
> Thanks and regards,
> —Paul

The IPA is well documented and already familiar to trained linguists.  I,
for one, would welcome such a parser for IPA input to gnuspeech.

Editing IPA:

Typing IPA can be a challenge for many people who don’t have a lot
of experience typing Unicode.    I personally use gvim,
a great editor for this purpose, but it has a steep learning curve at the
beginning.  Vim/Gvim is, however, well documented, and there’s a very
helpful user community.

To use Gvim, you need to supply a ~/.vimrc file (read first) and a ~/.gvimrc
file (read second).  The user community can supply vanilla examples
to start with.

I specify (in the .gvimrc file)

set encoding=utf-8

(that’s the internal gvim buffer encoding) and

set fileencodings=ucs-bom,utf-8,cp1252,iso-8859-1

(these are the encodings that are tried, in left-to-right order, when
opening a file.  ucs-bom means that it looks for a byte-order-mark
on the file, and if it finds one, the file gets converted into a utf-8
buffer accordingly; if there’s no BOM, it will try to interpret the file
as utf-8; if that fails, it will try cp1252, etc.)

Gvim needs a mono-width font.
I use the freely available DejaVuSansMono font, which has IPA glyphs,
specifying (again in the .gvimrc file)

set anti guifont=DejaVu\ Sans\ Mono:h14

That incantation works for OS X.  For Unix (including Linux) use

set anti guifont=DejaVu\ Sans\ Mono\ 12

For win32 use

set anti guifont=DejaVu_Sans_Mono:12

Gvim also allows you to specify “keymap” files that can facilitate
typing IPA, Greek, Russian, or whatever.  I can’t go into that here,
but it’s a powerful feature that allows you to enter “exotic” characters
in the way that is most natural to you.

There are also, of course, other editors that can be used to type Unicode

The days of having to use ASCII transliterations are long over.

Challenges:

A string of IPA is just a sequence of Unicode characters, so there’s
no special challenge there.

The IPA is very rich, including a fair number of diacritic marks that
specify details of pronunciation.  Any parser would probably begin
by implementing only a subset of IPA, and that subset would need
to be well documented.  The diacritic marks in Unicode are technically
separate Unicode characters called “combining diacritics."

There would probably be requests for corrections and augmentations
for years to come.

It’s very common to precede any use of IPA with a prose set of
“conventions."  For example, the ‘r’ letter in IPA technically represents
an alveolar trilled r as in the Spanish “carro."  The typical American English
r is
technically represented with an upside-down uppercase R, but the
conventions might state that simple ‘r’ will be used instead of the
technically correct IPA letter, especially when the IPA is being used
for ‘broad’/‘phonemic’ transcription.

 Probably the user should simply be
made responsible to provide the technically correct IPA letters and
diacritics to the parser, at least at the beginning.  Perhaps the
parser for gnuspeech could _eventually_ include some user-supplied
mapping table to map from the simplified/conventional/phonemicIPA text
provided by the user to a more ‘narrow’/‘correct’/‘phonetic’ IPA, but
that would open a can of worms.

I’d _definitely_ start with requiring the user to supply detailed
‘narrow’/‘correct’/‘phonetic’ IPA.  And let him/her do any required
mapping from ‘phonemic’ to ‘phonetic’ IPA before the text gets to the
gnuspeech IPA parser.

Best,

Ken

Kenneth R. Beesley, D.Phil.