gnuspeech-contact

[gnuspeech-contact] Bob's Compile Saga: libndbm problem?

From: Robert Hamilton
Subject: [gnuspeech-contact] Bob's Compile Saga: libndbm problem?
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 16:52:31 -0700 (PDT)

Folks,

I think some of the problems I've been having getting GNUspeech to compile
may be related to the database library called ndbm.

As mentioned previously, I first got the following error when running
GNUmakefile: "warning: ndbm.h: No such file or directory." So I copied the
header file, ndbm.h, into the GNuspeech subdirectory. That took care of
the warning. Next, I got this error: "cannot find -lndbm".

Perhaps I am in error here, but googling "ndbm" led to the conclusion that
the library "libndbm" had been deprecated long ago in favor of gdbm. So,
feeling a bit cocky, I changed the line in Gnuspeech's GNUmakefile from:
ADDITIONAL_GUI_LIBS += -lndbm
to:
ADDITIONAL_GUI_LIBS += -lgdbm

(By the way, I'm puzzled as to why a database library is being referenced
as a GUI library?)

Anyway, that change allowed GNUspeech to compile; however, these
(non-fatal-to-gcc)warning messages persisted:

address@hidden GnuSpeech]# make
Making all for app GnuSpeech...
 Compiling file ApplicationDelegate.m ...
ApplicationDelegate.m:4:2: warning: #import is obsolete, use an #ifndef
wrapper in the header file
 Compiling file GSDBMPronunciationDictionary.m ...
GSDBMPronunciationDictionary.m:4:2: warning: #import is obsolete, use an
#ifndef wrapper in the header file
 Compiling file GSPronunciationDictionary.m ...
GSPronunciationDictionary.m:4:2: warning: #import is obsolete, use an
#ifndef wrapper in the header file
 Compiling file GSSimplePronunciationDictionary.m ...
GSSimplePronunciationDictionary.m:4:2: warning: #import is obsolete, use
an #ifndef wrapper in the header file
 Compiling file GSSuffix.m ...
GSSuffix.m:4:2: warning: #import is obsolete, use an #ifndef wrapper in
the header file
 Compiling file main.m ...
main.m:10:2: warning: #import is obsolete, use an #ifndef wrapper in the
header file
 Compiling file NSFileManager-Extensions.m ...
NSFileManager-Extensions.m:4:2: warning: #import is obsolete, use an
#ifndef wrapper in the header file
 Compiling file NSScanner-Extensions.m ...
NSScanner-Extensions.m:5:2: warning: #import is obsolete, use an #ifndef
wrapper in the header file
 Compiling file NSString-Extensions.m ...
NSString-Extensions.m:5:2: warning: #import is obsolete, use an #ifndef
wrapper in the header file
NSString-Extensions.m: In function `+[NSString(CDExtensions)
spacesIndentedToLevel:spacesPerLevel:]':
NSString-Extensions.m:32: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer
type
 Compiling file parser_module.m ...
parser_module.m:26:2: warning: #import is obsolete, use an #ifndef wrapper
in the header file
parser_module.m: In function `parser':
parser_module.m:305: warning: unused variable `error'
parser_module.m:305: warning: unused variable `len'
parser_module.m:305: warning: unused variable `maxlen'
/usr/include/bits/socket.h: At top level:
parser_module.m:497: warning: `condition_input' defined but not used
 Compiling file TTSParser.m ...
TTSParser.m:4:2: warning: #import is obsolete, use an #ifndef wrapper in
the header file
TTSParser.m: In function `-[TTSParser parseString:]':
TTSParser.m:105: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type
TTSParser.m: In function `-[TTSParser markModes:]':
TTSParser.m:126: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type
TTSParser.m: In function `-[TTSParser degenerateString:]':
TTSParser.m:480: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type
 Linking app GnuSpeech ...
 Creating GnuSpeech.app/Resources...
 Creating GnuSpeech.app/Resources/Info-gnustep.plist...
 Creating GnuSpeech.app/Resources/GnuSpeech.desktop...
 Copying resources into the app wrapper...

Well, as it turns out, the GNUspeech application was actually created this
time around, and it installed and "ran" under GNustep and Window Maker.

Unfortunately all I get is the GNustep Dock icon. Process monitoring is
showing it running but asleep.

Are the warnings indicative of something serious, which has also caused
the run-time problem? Also, have I made an error in substituting gdbm for
ndbm? (By the way, I can't find libndbm on the net anymore.)

Any suggestions as to how to proceed would be welcome--I still have a dead
app!

Robert Hamilton

Discover Yahoo!
http://discover.yahoo.com/weekend.html