gnunet-developers

Re: [GNUnet-developers] gnunet-arm behaviour

From: ng0
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] gnunet-arm behaviour
Date: Thu, 2 May 2019 13:34:56 +0000

Christian Grothoff transcribed 4.5K bytes:
> On 5/2/19 10:44 AM, Hartmut Goebel wrote:
> > Am 01.05.19 um 10:35 schrieb Christian Grothoff:
> >> Are you aware that our logging subsystem can do log rotation (and that
> >> we would then only keep the logs for the last 3 days)?
> >

> > IMO gnunet should not re-implement operating system tasks, for several
> > reasons:
> >
> > - logging should be done using the platforms mechanisms to ease the
> > users' live
>
> It can be, but there are platforms where this is not done. And we should
> minimize logs for both data protection and just survivability (on small
> systems with limited disk space things might run out of space).
>
> > - the OS logging subsystem should be able to take care of rotation, disk
> > exhaustion, what ever,
>
> Right, are you sure *all* OSes do this? Are you sure it is configured
> always correctly by default?

Spoiler: no. And we can't know which OS rotates, and which ones don't.
I think what we can agree on is that what we have right now is
suboptimal. But I agree, logging to the $HOME location is not ideal
either, but a step forward.

> > - implementing all of log-subsystem features again is a huge effort,
> > waste of (wo)men-power and time
>
> ... which was done in GNUnet ~10 years ago.

We might have to write more about arm though, this year I had
to link someone to the 2 existing documents outside of gnunet-arm.1
for them to understand where this came from (predating the more
modern system facilities mostly only found in Linux and as options
sometimes on other systems).