gnunet-developers

Re: [GNUnet-developers] GNUNET_PROGRAM* option evaluation does not work

From: Schanzenbach, Martin
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] GNUNET_PROGRAM* option evaluation does not work as expected
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2019 19:11:33 +0100

Hi!

> On 13. Mar 2019, at 18:25, Hartmut Goebel <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hi Martin,
>
> Am 03.03.19 um 11:33 schrieb Schanzenbach, Martin:
>> The first thing you should do it use GNUNET_PROGRAM*.
> I followed this advice, adding options --verbose, -s/--silent and
> -d/--device. Here is the resulting help output, which look s good::
>
>  src/util/gnunet-qr --help
> gnunet-qr
> Scan a QR code using a video device and import the uri read
> Arguments mandatory for long options are also mandatory for short options.
>       --verbose              be verbose
>   -c, --config=FILENAME      use configuration file FILENAME
>   -d, --device=DEVICE        use video-device DEVICE (default: /dev/video0
>   -h, --help                 print this help
>   -L, --log=LOGLEVEL         configure logging to use LOGLEVEL
>   -l, --logfile=FILENAME     configure logging to write logs to FILENAME
>   -s, --silent               do not show preview windows
>   -v, --version              print the version number
> Report bugs to address@hidden
> GNUnet home page: http://www.gnu.org/s/gnunet/
> General help using GNU software: http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/
>

> But the resulting program does not work as expected:
>
>       • gnunet-qr -c src/my/test_my.conf
> -> invalid option -- c

You forgot to call:
GNUNET_STRINGS_get_utf8_args (argc, argv,
                                    &argc, &argv)
without it the parsing will not actually happen ;).

FYI some flags are reserved and handled by GNUnet.
This includes "verbose", "config" etc. You can see what is reserved when you
add no arguments and call --help.
See gnunet-ecc.c how it's done.

> Curiously gnunet-ecc accepts this option.
>       • gnunet-qr --config ./src/my/test_my.conf
> fails with "`stat' failed on file `/opt/gnunet/share/gnunet/config.d'
> [...]error: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden"
> Why does the program try to access this directory when I passed an
> config-file?
>
> "/opt/gnunet" is the prefix I configured, thus the directory name makes
> sense.  gnunet-ecc has the same issue.

GNUnet always tries to load the system/user config file first. The config file
you pass is used to override the default settings from that.
So if you did not actually install gnunet or don't have GNUNET_PREFIX setup,
this might be the issue.

BR