gnunet-developers

Re: [GNUnet-developers] New README.md and Github

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] New README.md and Github
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2018 16:51:13 +0200

Hi Devan,

I don't quite see the point of the README.md: the existing README is
perfectly readable for everybody, and having duplicate information is
confusing (now one has to update two documents, and users may wonder
which one they should read!).  I'd prefer to focus on having one
document with good quality (and README is standard in GNU), and
otherwise on having a good manual (texinfo and Web site).  If we want
something that looks nice, effort should probably first be put into the
Web site and the manual, where styling is actually effective.

As for Github, as GNU we should never endorse or encourage users to use
non-free software, and Github is non-free.  Hence there should not be an
official mirror there either. I also don't see a need, especially since
as of yesterday we do have the new GNUnet server "running" (except no
services are there yet, but configuration and migration can start
"today"), so we finally do have redundant infrastructure (at least once
we have it all setup properly).

Happy hacking!

Christian