gnunet-developers

[GNUnet-developers] website and logo rework

From: amirouche
Subject: [GNUnet-developers] website and logo rework
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2018 01:07:08 +0100

Héllo,

I got into creating a new logo for gnunet and work on the new gnunet website.

I did not study a lot the current website and based the mockup on what is in
the www.git repository @ https://gnunet.org/git/www.git/

My first impression is that the learning curve is rather steep, because it's start in the first paragraph with various acronyms that I don't know myself.

The introduction goes into deteails of what and how Internet is broken.
Starting up with the Internet is broken is not very positive and most likely
people coming to the website already know that.

We should first deliver a short explanation of the guiding principles of the gnunet stack (or framework?). I think about: ethical, energy efficient, secure
and anonymous. Maybe that must be the headline. Maybe:

 ethical Internet

is enough.

Let's be creative, the current headline seems like a buzz word bingo
parade:

Decentralized, Secure, Privacy-preserving, Distributed Application Framework

ipfs use the following:

 IPFS is the distributed web.

That is a bit strong and surf on the _web_ frenzy. A misleading statement.
Serving static files over the network is an old trick.

I think we should focus on delivring a short explanation for three kinds of
potentially interested users.

- end users: What are gnunet-based applications? What are the advantages
of using gnunet compared to other approaches in particular the blockchain, ipfs and bittorrent (e.g. gnunet offers the possibility to stay anonymous which avoids the need to use vpn (which is not really anonymous) and that
 gnunet offers better performance than tor (which has known issues)).

 AFAIK this section will be empty without gnunet-gtk and gnu taler.

- developpers: What are the advantages of using gnunet? What are the distinctive features of gnunet? What are the available bindings? What is their status? Explain in layman terms that most the regular network stack is replaced
 by a secure version. Explai from top to bottom (I think it's easier
 to understand but I am just a webdev) what are the different services.

- researcher: explain that gnunet is based on several research papers and
 that it was published in various places, link to the bibliography.

How someone should cite gnunet if they use it in their work? bibtex?

I replaced the term 'stack' with 'framework' in the headline, is it ok?

logos and mockup at https://imgur.com/a/ZOjNU

I attached the svg source.

WDYT?