gnunet-developers

Re: [GNUnet-developers] gnunet-guile reboot & guix

From: ng0
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] gnunet-guile reboot & guix
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2018 00:49:49 +0000

Amirouche Boubekki transcribed 1.5K bytes:
> Héllo all,
>
> I restarted from scratch the gnunet-guile bindings. It was made
> much easier thanks to the work of ng0 on gnunet documentation and
> guile-bytestructures to handle C structs and unions.
>
> You need guix from today with latest guile-bytestructures 1.0.1.
>
> You can get the code using the following command:
>
>    git clone git://gnunet.org/gnunet-guile2.git
>
> You can install a recent-ish gnunet using the following command:
>
>   guix package -f guix.scm
>
> Then, you can do usual cli dance:
>
>   ./bootstrap && ./configure && make
>
> Ahem, now it's time to run gnunet services. I put together

Would gnunet-service (in GuixSD, and shepherd as user-process
on other systems) help here? I wanted to start debugging my
service again in february, maybe earlier.
I could delegate it to whoever wants to work on it though.

> gnunet configuration that might not be very good even if it
> works. For instance, it seems like gnunet manages to reach
> the outside world. It's based on configuration files found
> in gnunet distribution:
>
>   gnunet-arm -c etc/p2.conf -s
>
> At this point you will be able to test the bindings.
>
> To publish a FILE, use the following command:
>
>   ./pre-inst-env ./gnunet-guile publish etc/p2.conf FILE
>
> To download the above file into OUT, you need to copy paste
> the gnunet:// URI from the previous command output and execute
> the following command:
>
>   ./pre-inst-env ./gnunet-guile download etc/p2.conf URI OUT
>
> That is all!

Hey! Pretty good progress for just a couple of days, very nice!

> There is no support for identity and various stuff are missing.
> There might be memory leaks and other issues (like proper disjoint
> types for pointers). I just finished the code.
>
> I think I need to know what's the plan/design for gnunet/guix
> integration to continue.

If you want a (relative) unprocessed summary of its history, it's collected in
here
(org-mode recommended):
https://gnunet.org/git/infotropique-artwork.git/tree/doc/guix-past-notes.txt

Now for the current goals I should manage to reply within a week (searching
my notes and past offlist emails). That is of course from my perspective
as a GNUnet developer.

On various occasions it was made clear to me that FS isn't ready for such
usage and we would need to extend it if we start working on it. I could be
wrong, but to some degree our implementation of our own designs has some
mistakes, if I remember Grothoff right.

Bits and pieces without what I came up with in winter 2016:

* anonymous levels aren't necessary for sharing code
** update on this: one (or more?) other OS' is looking into Guix+GNUnet
   as well and I'm not sure if they would rely on anonymity. Imo it makes
   no sense for the start. anonymity setting 0 would work for a start.

Before I share my part of the ideas, maybe someone who wasn't involved
in the on-and-off discussions could add their ideas? Fresh ideas could
bring new perspectives we haven't seen.

For the Guix part I just know that it should be an option, not a default.

--
GnuPG: A88C8ADD129828D7EAC02E52E22F9BBFEE348588
GnuPG: https://c.n0.is/ng0_pubkeys/tree/keys